Gaia, Narrative and Agency
- Read about the Social Meaning of Climate
- this chapter explored the different ways in which societies over time have constructed the idea of climate and how they have related to its physical attributes
- Read about the Performance of Science
- This chapter claims that one of the reasons we disagree about climate change is because we understand science and scientific knowledge in different ways. Further, this chapter examines the changing nature of science and what significance this has for disagreements within scientific discourse about the existence, causes and consequences of human-induced climate change.
- Went deeper into the exploration of the social meanings of climate and expectations of science through
Today in class we discussed the ideas of narrative and agency and we watched two videos on the Gaia Hypothesis. The first video is here.
The second video is here.
Your assignment is to watch at least the first 1 minute and 47 seconds of the below film. In the comments section work with a partner to answer the following prompt:
In about 300 words, apply the ideas discussed in class and in the readings to briefly analyze the differences in narrative in the three videos. In particular,This assignment is due by 11am on Tuesday October 3.
- How are stories in the videos the same and how are they different?
- What might you discern about the narrators' values or worldview? Why do you think this?
- How do the videos differ in their presentation of Earth's agency?